At its 4th edition, this online course involves about 24 hours of work. Online tutors will support participants during the training course. Learners decide their preferred time to follow the training.
The course requires an initial intermediate level of English. It includes different types of activities that participants should take part in, including:
- reading texts, audio files and videos on a wide range of trade union-related topics;
- quizzes which test participant’s understanding of key vocabulary and grammar;
- forums where participants can share opinions and experiences with other learners;
- speaking and writing assignments to which participants receive personal feedback from the course tutor
- Live webinars with the course tutors facilitating discussion and interaction within participants.
Check this video with the course presentation.
Having completed this course, participants will be able to communicate more effectively in English on the following topics:
- the work of trade unions and national confederations;
- differences in trade union representation throughout Europe;
- the work of trade union federations and the ETUC at the European level;
- the current state of collective bargaining in Europe;
- the work, history, and state of European Works Councils;
- board room participation;
- SE companies;
- direct employee participation; and
- financial participation.
As well as focusing on key vocabulary, we also look at the following grammar topics:
- tense usage in the active and passive voice;
- various conditional forms;
- reported speech;
- comparative and superlative forms;
- describing trends, statistics and graphs;
- talking about numbers (big and small);
- the language of meetings; and
- diplomatic language.
Participants: A maximum of 150 participants can be accepted. The final confirmation of the participants will be done by ETUI bearing in mind the requirements for the target group, and the “first come, first served” rule. The target group are trade unionists from ETUC affiliated Organizations with an intermediate level of English.
Before filling the enrolment form, interested participants are warmly recommended to take 15 minutes and assess online here their level.
Registrations: Individual expressions of interest can be made through national contact persons (see the list here). The ETUI Education team is available for clarification and support, please contact Ilaria Costantini and/or Sylviane Mathy. Participation in this course is free of charge.