In its 1st edition, this online course involves about 36 hours of work. Online tutors will support participants during the training course.
The course covers the pre-intermediate level of English. It includes different types of activities that participants should take part in, including:
- reading texts, audio files and videos on a wide range of trade union-related topics;
- quizzes which test participant’s understanding of key vocabulary and grammar;
- forums where participants can share opinions and experiences with other learners;
- speaking and writing assignments to which participants receive personal feedback from the course tutors.
There will be also the possibility to attend a webinar with the course tutors facilitating discussion and interaction within participants.
More information about the course is presented in the video available here
Having completed this course, participants will be able to communicate more effectively in English on the following topics:
- how to describe yourself and your work
- trade unions in Europe
- the work of shop stewards
- reasons to join a trade union
- current trade union issues
- working time issues
- employment relationships
- precarious work
- dismissals, and redundancies
As well as focusing on key vocabulary, we also look at the following grammar topics:
- the Present Simple state
- the Past Simple tense
- the active and passive voice
- numbers big and small
- making comparisons
- prepositions and dates
- the Present Continuous tense
- countable and uncountable nouns; and
- future forms
Participants: A maximum of 300 participants can be accepted. The final confirmation of the participants will be done by ETUI bearing in mind the requirements for the target group, and the “first come, first served” rule. The target group are trade unionists from ETUC affiliated Organizations with a basic level of English. Before filling the enrolment form, interested participants are warmly recommended to take 15 minutes and assess online here their level.
Registrations: individual expressions of interests can be done through national contact persons (see the list here). ETUI Education is available for clarification and support (Ilaria Costantini email@example.com and Sylviane Mathy firstname.lastname@example.org ). Participation in this course is free of charge.