At its 1st edition, this online course involves about 24 hours of work. Online tutors will support participants during the training course.
The course requires an initial intermediate level of English. It includes different types of activities that participants should take part in, including:
1. reading texts, audio files and videos on a wide range of trade union related topics;
2. quizzes which test participant’s understanding of key vocabulary and grammar;
3. forums where participants can share opinions and experiences with other learners;
4. speaking and writing assignments to which participants receive personal feedback from the course tutor.
Having completed this course, participants will be able to communicate more effectively in English on the following topics:
• the legal and institutional framework of health and safety in Europe;
• how workers are represented on health and safety issues;
• physical, ergonomic, safety, chemical, biological, and psychosocial hazards;
• risk assessment, risk management, and the hierarchy of controls;
• toxic work and occupational diseases;
• bullying and institutional harassment at France Telecom;
• the dangers of fatigue;
• how occupational exposure limits have been set for carcinogens and mutagens;
• stress and mental health during the pandemic; and
• health and safety in the healthcare sector during the current crisis.
As well as focusing on key vocabulary, we also look at the following grammar topics:
• tense usage in the active and passive voice;
• subject and object questions;
• forming nouns from verbs;
• zero and first conditional forms;
• the language of cause and effect;
• the third conditional;
• how to speculate about the past; and
• how to talk about past states and habits.
Participants: A maximum of 200 participants can be accepted. The final confirmation of the participants will be done by ETUI bearing in mind the requirements for the target group, and the “first come, first served” rule. The target group are trade unionists from ETUC affiliated Organizations with an intermediate level of English. Before filling the enrolment form, interested participants are warmly recommended to take 15 minutes and assess their level here.
Registrations: individual expressions of interests can be done through national contact persons (see the list here). ETUI Education is available for clarification and support (Ilaria Costantini and Sylviane Mathy). The participation to this course is free of charge.