We are living in a climate emergency that is hurting workers and their livelihoods – especially in unionised sectors such as energy, transport and agriculture. As trade unionists, what can we do to build sustainable jobs for our members?
At the Education Department of the ETUI, we decided to develop training based on an original approach.
An approach in which trade unionist put into practice their knowledge and experience to protect workers facing the climate emergency. This is what we call our green competence framework approach.
From September 2021 to December 2021, six experienced trainers from four organisations - ZSSS (Slovenia), CISL (Italy), KOZ (Slovakia), and UGT (Spain) - participated in a capacity-building training course to produce training material on ETUI's green competence framework approach.
More precisely, they used “real-life situation” or “case studies” to develop green competences.
These case studies which dealt with the topic of Just Transition brought alive fictional characters (mid-age workers, part-time workers, John, Marco...) or various stakeholders (e.g., trade unions, investors, a company, a local community, etc.).
- Introduce the ETUI's green competence framework approach;
- Apply the ETUI's green competence framework approach to real-life case studies;
- Implement the ETUI's green competence framework into trade unions daily practices and working environment
- TU representatives at the company and sectoral level are involved in health and safety and environmental policies.
- TU officers and representatives (especially young) responsible for the environment, climate change and sustainability.
Interpretation will be available in English, Spanish, and Slovenian.
Do not hesitate to contact either Franklin Kimbimbi or Carine Boon should you have further questions.